Friday, January 28, 2011

Finding the Write Time with Guest Blogger Tracy Ranson

Meet historical romance author Tracy Ranson today at the Book Boost!

Here's what she had to say...

All of us in our own ways have hindrances to our writing. Some may be the DREADED DAY JOB while others it could be family, children, issues… etc. Ever wonder how Lori Foster, Nora Roberts and Angela Knight manage to turn out so many great books in a year? I know I did until some gracious authors clued me into their secrets. It’s all about time management and having a game plan. Even if you only have an hour a day to write, you can still use your time effectively and wisely! Here are some tips:


1.) Keep a small notepad handy wherever you are to jot down ideas. This is great and I keep mine with me at all times (and I do mean ALL times) so I can do my own version of shorthand to get the ideas down.

2.) Work up a small outline on this pad to get general ideas of your characters and plot outline and such. It will help during the writing process.

3.) Get to know your characters and give them quirks to add more dimension. Such as this character snaps their fingers when they’re nervous or angry or maybe the heroine bats her eyes when she sees a man, etc.

4.) This is my secret: I write between 7-9 each night and everyone in the house knows not to bother me unless anything is bleeding or hanging at a funny angle. I know I don’t have children and that isn’t always possible but if you have an understanding spouse/partner, they should understand and help you out.

5.) Write, write, write!!!


In order to make your dreams come true, you must be persistent!! That’s the key. Success is 1% talent and 99% perseverance. You can only improve yourself if you keep writing and learning!


To quote a very successful business man who happens to be working with my husband, I’ll just say: “If the dream is big enough, the facts don’t matter”—Dexter Yager.


A Note from the Book Boost: Thanks for sharing your writing tips and routines with us, Tracy. Please tell us more about your book.


Blurb:

After being kidnapped, shrewd business woman Tess McLeod awakens in a brothel room ready to be sold at a "virgin auction." She refuses to comply with the brothel, especially when that leaves her inheritance, McLeod Shipping, in the hands of her abductor and late father’s business partner, "Mad" Jack Anderson.

To avoid a scandal, Duke William Knightly of Devenleigh, the head of Riverlark Shipping, follows his frivolous, carefree brothers to the brothel auction to take them home. He doesn’t plan to make a purchase, but when Tess is brought to the dais, his conscience tells him to save her. But it's only after he pays for her that he discovers the mysterious woman is a threat to everything he knows, including his heart.





Want More Tracy?


Visit her website here: http://www.tracylranson.com/
Or her blog here: http://tracylranson.com/blog/

Pick up your copy of her book today. Click here!

1 comment:

DawnsReadingNook said...

Great tips Tracy..I think I am going to carry a notebook around as well once I get a bigger purse that is. LOL
Great article.