Monday, July 23, 2012

Cracking the Block with Guest Blogger: Kaylin McFarren


Welcome back author Kaylin McFarren 
today to the Book Boost!


She's here to discuss her methods to conquering writer's block and here's what she had to say...


About a month ago, I found myself rewriting the same chapter over and over again – actually editing my editing. I was stuck, going nowhere, wedged into the corner of a mindless cube with no exit door in sight. Out of curiosity, I investigated and discovered that some pretty well known authors have suffered from this same affliction: George Gissing, Samuel Coleridge, Joseph Mitchell, even F. Scott Fitzgerald. When I calculated that it took thirty years for Harold Brodkey to publish The Runaway Soul, I realized that I needed to find a solution, and fast.

Now these suggestions may not be your answer, but after undergoing self-induced therapy for one week, I managed to lose my block before I completely cracked.

1) Rage. If you’re deleting chapters or filling trash baskets, screaming and stomping won’t get you anywhere – although it helps to clear the cobwebs and release pent up frustrations. Just don’t make this a habit or you might find yourself residing in a padded cell.

2) Inspiration. The spark of genius might be flittering about just beyond your reach. Go for walks, see a movie, read books. Sit in the park with your eyes closed, listening to the world around you. But should you chose to do this, don’t ignore the flashers, pickpockets, and hookers milling around or the police officers who might ask you to move along.

3) Escape. If you can’t find something to inspire you, calm your frustrations with a distraction – whether it be lunch with friends, a weekend getaway or an around the world trip. But wherever you end up, don’t forget to bring home something other than leftovers and laundry to help rekindle your thoughts.

4) Re-engage. Reread what you’ve already written, the notes you compiled, the outline you struggled to complete. Become reacquainted with your characters and rescue them from a fate worse than avoidance.

5) Purpose. Remember what drove you to write this story in the first place. However, if you were purely financially motivated, hopefully you have someone very patient in your life that’s helping to pay the bills.


A Note from the Book Boost:  Kaylin, so great to have you back at the Book Boost at long last!  I've missed seeing you around since your last big release.  I love these tips particularly #2 (pickpockets & hookers?  wow! LOL)  Glad your broke through the block.  Please tell us more about your latest!


Blurb:

Believing herself responsible for her father’s fatal diving accident, Rachel Lyons has withdrawn from the world and assumed a safe position at a foundation office.

When called upon by a museum director to assist her former love interest with the recovery of a cursed relic from a sunken Chinese merchant ship, she has no intention of cooperating – until her brother is kidnapped by a drug-dealing gangster.

In order to save him and gain control over her own life, Rachel must not only overcome her greatest fears, but also relive the circumstances that lead to her father’s death.





Want More Kaylin?
 
Visit her on the web here:  www.KaylinMcFarren.com

Watch the dynamic trailer now!  Click here.

Pick up a copy of her book today!  Click here.

1 comment:

Kaylin McFarren said...

Thanks for having me. Hope my writing tips help despite my wicked sense of humor. :) This book is a completely different direction for me and two more adventures will be following in the Thread series so I'm hoping to visit you again in the near future! Hugs and all my best to you!! Kaylin