Thursday, July 19, 2012

Keeping Your Cool with Guest Blogger: Becky Lower



Meet romance author Becky Lower 
today at the Book Boost!

She's here to discuss how to write romance when it's hot outside and here's what she had to say...

Most of the United States has been locked in a heat wave for several weeks now. Much of the western US is battling forest fires. How can anyone stay cool when the air outside is 100 degrees? Especially if one’s chosen profession is writing romance novels, complete with hot, steamy sex?

I pondered this question while I was writing the other day on my current work-in-progress. It should be a simple matter, in an air-conditioned home, and wearing next to nothing, to stay cool, even when writing those torrid sex scenes. Right?

Never could I be more wrong. I was having trouble keeping my focus, since I was hot, inside and out. So, in order to keep my writing on track, I’ve come up with my list of "Dos and Don’ts" for writing scorching sex scenes when it’s hot, hot, hot outside.

1. Quit looking at photos of hot Native American men that a friend keeps sending me. (The hero in my first book, The Reluctant Debutante, is of Ojibwa heritage.)

2. Wear as little as possible. This works most of the time, since I live alone. But I often wonder what the backyard neighbor thinks when I let my little dog out into the yard. 

3. Save the explicit sex scenes until the evening, when the temperature is a bit cooler. Write around them, and insert a placeholder in my manuscript to remind myself to get back to it later. Then, when you’re all fired up, head to bed. Yeah, right. 

4. When the muse is upon you, and all else fails, a cold shower works, too.

I hope these tips help you maintain your writing output even in the dregs of summer.

A Note from the Book Boost:  Hey, I know all about the heat down here in the sunny south.  And I enjoyed your suggestions on how to stay cool while writing those hot pages.  Thanks for stopping by.  Please tell us more about your book.


Blurb:


In 1855 New York, Ginger Fitzpatrick has absolutely no interest in taking part in the newest rage in America—the Cotillion Ball. 

Instead, Ginger would rather be rallying for women’s rights; at least until she meets her brother’s best friend from St. Louis, a dark mysterious man named Joseph Lafontaine, who ignites her passion and makes her question if love and marriage is such a ridiculous notion after all. 

What she and the rest of New York’s high society don’t realize is that Joseph is half Ojibwa Indian, and therefore, totally unsuitable for marriage to a fine, cultured young lady.

 

Want More Becky?

Visit her on the web here:  www.beckylowerauthor.com 

Pick up a copy of her book today!  Click here.

1 comment:

amandalvshalaby said...

These are great, Becky! Excellent tips!! I am especially laughing over #2, as I have also had moments of letting the dog out where I hope no neighbors are around! Lol