Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Getting to Know You with Featured Author: Meggan Connors


Welcome to our Getting to Know You
Featured Author Month
here at the Book Boost!

Today, we're learning about the quirks and works of author, Meggan Connors.


TBB: How and when did you become a professional author?

MC:  I think of a professional author as someone who is an author for a living. I guess until I hit my big break, I will continue to consider myself a speech pathologist.

That being said, I've always wanted to be a writer. I've written lots of tired, bad poetry (oh, the tortured prose of my youth!), and several novella-length stories. I also published a few professional articles, too.

But grad school, followed by working at least one job (and, more often, a couple at a time), forced the writing into a holding patterns. It wasn't until my youngest hit age two that I turned back to writing. Once I proved to myself that I could finish a manuscript, I had to figure out how to get that baby out to the world. So I joined Romance Writers of America, entered a couple of contests.  Became a finalist in some and not in others, and learned a lot. On a lark, I submitted The Marker to Soul Mate Publishing, and the rest, as they say, is history.

TBB:  If you had to describe that book using ONLY ONE word what would it be?

MC:  Gritty.

TBB: Is there a message imbedded into your stories you hope readers will get?  If so, what is it?

MC:  Ah, jeez. I know it's trite (really, I do!), but it'd be that love can conquer anything. In all of my stories, I throw so many obstacles at my couples that they have to overcome in order to be together, and it's fun to see them get past those obstacles and toward their happy ending.

TBB: Give me one quote (from yourself/by yourself) about being a writer.


"I'm a genius! Oh, no, I suck."--Meggan Connors


TBB:  Who, in your life, is your biggest source of inspiration and why?

MC:  My husband. He's the biggest source of support I've ever had, and he's funny. Not to mention, when I'm writing cops, he's pretty helpful, since he is one.

TBB: What is your worst habit?

MC:  I hate to admit it, but I bite my nails. I know, it's gross. I've tried everything, including painting them with fish oil (or whatever that nasty stuff is). I just wound up with a nasty taste in my mouth and bad breath, and bitten nails. Ugh.

TBB: If someone wrote a biography about you, what should the title be?

Book Title Courtesy of:  Meggan Connors


TBB: Favorite time of year (or fave holiday)?

MC:  Halloween. I like to dress up, and really, there's not all the family melodrama. And: CHOCOLATE! (I have heard of some people—and I don't know who, because I'm not saying it's me—going through their children's candy stashes and taking out several pieces of chocolate. When questioned, the response is, "Oh, this piece of candy looked bad. I'm just trying to make sure you're safe.")

TBB:.  If you were a cartoon character, which one would you be and why?

MC:  Velma from Scooby Doo. Because I'm blind and I like turtlenecks (I'd like to think I'm pretty smart, too—or at least that I'm as smart as some meddling kid.)



Want More Meggan?

Visit her on the web here: www.megganconnors.com

Pick up a copy of her book today!  Click here.


3 comments:

Meggan Connors said...

Thanks for having me!

Unknown said...

Great interview, ladies. Meggan, the title of the book about you is so apropos. Don't ever change. You're a terrific person and a talented writer.

Meggan Connors said...

Aw, thanks Janna!